The following is a repost of my
article from ENWorld forum.
GM's Tools; Miniguide to Free & Bookmarked PDFs
author: Ruemere (Patryk Adamski)
The following presents a free alternative way of creating bookmarked
PDF files. This alternative should work on most popular platforms,
like Linux and Windows.
Those who don't need bookmarks, can satisfy themselves with OpenOffice
and Java (see 1. below), as the PDFs produced by OO are neat and easy
to create (just click Export to PDF button).
Those who prefer to use Microsoft Office, can either
- Open .doc later under OO and convert to PDF (beware, some corruption
may occur - the Word way of handling styles is far from perfect),
- Download and install PDFCreator, a wonderful (and complete)
free tool for creation of optimized PDFs: PDFCreator
1. The toolbox.
- Get yourself a copy of OpenOffice (1.1.1 minimum) for your operating
system. It's a big download, but in return you get a suite which can
achieve more than Office XP (though sometimes it takes to write a macro).
website / 1.1.1
- Download latest stable Sun Java (required for OO macros to run).
- Get latest versions of Ghostscript (either AFPL or GNU versions will
do) and Ghostview.
- GS and GSView,
- And finally, the most important thing, download a document containing
the macro to create a PDF with bookmarks. Yes, that's right, a free
BOOKMARKED PDF :).
- install Java
- install Ghostscript
- install GhostView
- (if you run Windows) make sure that /bin and /lib directories
of Ghostscript installation are on system PATH (i.e. you can run
from any directory), i.e. if you run SET PATH at you command (DOS)
prompt, you'd get something like this: C:\gs\gs8.14\bin\;C:\gs\gs8.14\lib (among other paths)
- install OpenOffice
- open ExtendedPDF document (it's in .sxw format, i.e. it's just
like a typical Word with some macros in) agreeing to run macros
- follow instructions in the document to install macro globally
- enjoy (strictly optional step)
3. Creating bookmarked PDF, final tips
- (if you run Windows) remember to change "gs" to fully qualified
path in macro menu (the window which opens whenever you run the macro)
- set bookmark conversion parameters (i.e. what styles are to
be converted to what level bookmarks) according to your preference.
- (if you run Windows) if you are not satisifed with conversion
speed, change default PS printer driver to Apple Color Laser PS
v1.02 (edited for clarity)